Friday, April 12, 2013

Crying Victim while Making Victims in the Name of Faith

I want to make a comparison for you. This is something that you may recall from a few posts back:


I've heard this kind of thing many times where someone extrapolates a hypothetical situation where someone, for some odd reason, holds a gun to your head and threatens death unless you verbally deny Jesus. The thing is, of course, would you do it to save your life, or let them pull a trigger? Here's the question... when has this ever actually happened? I'm not saying it hasn't, just that it doesn't happen hardly ever.

However, you are legally allowed to be murdered if you're gay in Uganda. And yet...


In fact, there has been a lot of violence and death put upon people if they don't live by supposed Christian values, by Christians, but almost never happening to Christians. This verse haunted me when I was a believer:
If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.” - Mark 8:38
Because it was thrust upon me as a believer that I'd one day have to face this situation. I never actually did. But it was thrust even worse because we weren't just supposed to be unashamed of our faith, but was supposed to thrust it into others' faces by getting into their lives and convert them. It was what we were supposed to do every day. If we didn't, Jesus wasn't just ashamed of us, but because of this delightful passage from motherfucking Ezekiel, we were told their death would be our guilt. And there was I, with my social phobia and undiagnosed PTSD, trying and failing, and having a nervous breakdown because of the judgment I feared was coming my way when I didn't overcome unspeakable fears I didn't even understand having.

Almost always the persecution happens from them, and yet almost always they insist it's happening to them. Just watch now that the ACLU is descending upon the Kansas City, MO, Research Medical Center, who had a patient's gay partner violently thrown out (though he was the legal power of attorney and the patient insisted he stay), Christians will insist the hospital's Christian values will be the ones assaulted through all this. They'll insist the abusive relative, Lee Mansell, belonged there more than the patient's lover, because it's God's will or something. Just watch.

And these are the same people who claim they hate it when others play victim.

1 comment: