Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dear Typical Bigot in a Judge’s Robe…

image As Huffington Post points out, Alabama Probate John Enslen thinks that not only his personal religious beliefs supersede federal law and the rights of United States citizens who fairly win their court cases, but they also mandate that he should get away with the dereliction of his sworn duty on the taxpayer's dime, even if some of those taxpayers are the people whose rights he is deliberately ignoring. He writes:
"I will never perform a so-called same-sex marriage. A federal court can put me in jail for life, and I will still never perform a so-called same-sex marriage. As a believer in the Word of God... I cannot, in good conscience, participate in a purported marriage ceremony, which I strongly believe would profane the sacred institution of marriage. This is not about hating people. Each of us needs to treat every other human being with dignity and respect, regardless of our diametrically opposing viewpoints on this divisive issue. But tolerance is a two-way street. Either there is tolerance for all, or there is tolerance for none. I want tolerance for my personal religious viewpoint."
Well, Judge Enslen (I'd say your honor, but you clearly have none and you refuse to honor me) I would not want you to perform my wedding (you perform weddings, not marriages, unless you're one of the two getting married). Why? Because I prefer to have someone with honor to do that wedding for me based on honor, and there is no honor in your so-called religion of a so-called loving god. See, I can belittle you with that term, "so-called" too!

It is not your "good conscience" (you may have one, but it is way too faulty to be called 'good') that tells you not to do so. It's your hate. It does not profane the institution of marriage in any actual way other than in your beliefs, and your beliefs are not something I'm forcefully held to. You profane my religion, after all, and that is a religion not to hate people irrationally. And you may say it's not about hating people. It is entirely about hating people. So basically you threw a lie in there, which last I checked, you weren't supposed to do that either. And that's based on not just that archaic Bible book, but also the law you say you're supposed to uphold. Well, if you were under oath anyway. I guess you weren't at that point when you said that. So technically you're totally allowed to be a lying bigot all you want in your free life.

And that's what I wanted to tell you. Nobody will arrest you for being a lying bigot. That's never been an arrestable offense. We used to be arrested for being gay. This is why your attempt to make you the victim in this situation is laughable. But it's never stopped bigots before. They always pretend that they're' the victim when they're not even being arrested or punished for being a bigot.

But you will be arrested or punished for breaking the law, and the law of this land does not allow you to force your religious values onto me. You are not obligated to perform a wedding for me. But if you deny me my rightful marriage rights which are equal in this country in most states and should've always been in a country of church/state separation, that will happen to you. You will bitch and whine and moan about how you're the victim then too, but you will be the perpetrator. Not the  victim. And it will be because of your hate. Yes. It is absolutely hate. That is not debatable.

Tolerance can only be a two-way street if you stop being dishonest with yourself about what it actually is. If I were to refuse to perform a wedding ceremony for you because you're Christian and I'm not, then you can say intolerance is a two-way street. But right now, intolerance is a one-way street. You have never, and will never, suffer for your hate for us, nor bullied for your dislike and belief against us. We have, however, been constantly abused for being gay by the likes of you, and since people like you teach your kids the same hate, no matter how much you try to disguise it as civil and justified, they will no doubt continue to bully and abuse other gay kids.

You are intolerant to us. You have no idea what it means to be the recipient of actual, painful intolerance, and therefore, have no clout on the subject whatsoever. And what's most ironic about this one-sided intolerance street is that you’re the one that’s actually intolerable. And yet we do tolerate you. Imagine that. And if we can do that for you, that leaves you without excuse.

-- A gay citizen whose taxes pay your salary






No comments:

Post a Comment